The Little Panda Fighter
The Little Panda Fighter (titled Ursinho da Pesada in Brazil and previously titled Heavy's Little Bear) is a Brazilian rip-off movie of DreamWorks' Kung Fu Panda released around the same time as that film in 2008 with animation and CGI that is generally considered to be of very low quality. This film is one of Video Brinquedo's most notable films.
A giant panda named Pancada (meaning "punch" or "beatdown" in Portuguese) works at a boxing/wrestling club called the "Bear Bar Box". He has dreams of one day becoming a professional dancer, and is in love with a waitress named Beth. His boss, a polar bear named Polaris, is scheduled to fight a large bear named Freak Teddy. Pancada visits his dancing instructor, Master Xin, who teaches him about loyalty. The following day, Polaris has found a black costume, and tells Pancada to wash it for him. The costume shrinks in the wash, resulting in Polaris having the appearance of a panda bear. As Polaris begins the fight with Freak Teddy, Pancada goes to a dance competition, wherein he ends up winning.
Polaris wins the match against Freak Teddy, and because of his panda-like appearance, the club's patrons mistakenly congratulate Pancada for being a powerful fighter. Pancada, having won the dance competition, erroneously believes that he is being congratulated for his dancing skills. Before Polaris leaves for a vacation, Pancada himself enters the ring to fight Freak Teddy and loses. Polaris informs Pancada that he had made a bet that Pancada would lose the fight, and therefore, he becomes wealthy. After Polaris heads off for the icy mountains, Pancada transforms the boxing club into a dance club.
Why It Sucks
- As said earlier, it's a rip-off of Kung Fu Panda. The cover of the box art even has Pancada doing the same kung fu pose that Po did in his box art. The movie also rips off characters from Yogi Bear and Care Bears.
- Lazy and dreadful CGI animation.
- The lip syncing was never even considered for a second.
- Bad editing.
- Stolen pictures.
- Very unlikable characters.
- Horrible soundtrack.
- A very misleading title: For one thing the "little" panda is actually a fully grown up adult panda, and he doesn't even fight until the last 5 minutes of the movie.
- Despite Pancada being the main character, he barely does anything in the film.
- Awkward English dub. All of the characters fluctuate between speaking quickly and slowly at certain times that it's hard to understand what they're trying to say. This is mainly due to the fact that this film was dubbed, so the actors had to do their best to match what the characters are saying.
- Speaking of which, the English dub also wastes the voice talents of Dan Green, Mike Pollock, Erica Shroeder, and Maddie Blaustein.
- The movie is full of padding to increase the movie's running time, such as a whole entire scene of Pancada just walking over a bridge, which lasts for 21 seconds. There is also a pointless sub-plot of Pancada, after dancing in front of some judges and Master Xin, being accepted into a dance academy. The reason this is pointless is because, after that scene is over, both Pancada or Master Xin never talk about it again.
- False Advertising: The DVD cover shows the protagonist in a kung fu pose despite the movie's main martial art being about boxing (or wrestling, whatever).
- Laughable dialogue, such as the scene after Pancada loses the match and Polaris said "I'm about the richest man in the whole city!!!", despite the fact that they're all bears and don't even live in a city.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- A few unintentionally funny moments (like Freak Teddy laughing, stopping and then laughing again).
The film received extremely negative reviews from audiences. It currently has a 21% rating from audiences on Rotten Tomatoes and currently has an IMDb rating of 1.3/10.