Barnyard is a 3D animated 2006 comedy film co-produced by Nickelodeon Movies, O Entertainment and Omation Animation Studio.
When the farmer's away, all the animals play, sing, and dance. Eventually, though, someone has to step in and run things, a responsibility that ends up going to Otis, a carefree cow.
- Otis is an unlikable protagonist with a few exceptions.
- The character designs are ugly and weird.
- The humor goes way off in many ways.
- The idea of animals partying in their barns is very pointless.
- Otis, Ben, and the other Jersey cows are male, and yet they have udders, but an actual bull makes an appearance in the movie and is treated as a separate species, which makes no sense.
- Otis and his friends act like stereotypical teenagers.
- As a "comedy/drama", it doesn't work with an unoriginal and weak plot.
- The scene where Otis, Iggy, Bud and Edd scare "Snotty Boy" is very pointless.
- Promotes wild partying, carjacking, speeding, evading the police and excess drinking... this is for kids, right?
- Adult jokes in a kids' movie. For example, when Otis says "Milk me!", it sounds like he's saying "F**k me!".
- Otis and Daisy have a useless romantic sub-plot for most of the part.
- The movie draws too many similarities with GMW; many sources point this out.
- While it hasn't aged well, the CGI animation is okay.
- Decent voice-acting, despite talents being wasted.
- It's not afraid to show fight and death in a family film, as Ben dies in Otis's arms.
- Ben has a great phrase; "A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
- Despite his cartoon-ish appearance and being poorly-written, Dag manages to be an ultimately terrifying villain.
- Plenty characters can be likable, such as Ben, Daisy, Bessy, Miles, Etta, Pig, Freddy, Peck, Maddy and Farmer Buyer.
- Great soundtrack, including Sam Elliot's cover of "I Won't Back Down".
- The film is practically meme gold, with scenes like the pizza delivery, "there's a cow farm, you're gonna find cows outside" and of course, Biggie Cheese.
- Some funny moments here and there. For example, the scene where Otis and his friends try to find a way to hide the farmer and make an event that didn't happen to prevent to go to the farmhouse and Freddy trying to eat Peck.
- The character Biggie Cheese is a parody of the late rapper Biggie Smalls.
- In Spain, the film is titled El Corral: Una Fiesta muy Bestia, but the animals only "fiesta" for a few minutes.
- The film was originally going to be produced by DNA Productions (who also did GMW) but since the test pilot was changed into the looks of the final film, the production company left the project and instead went on to work on The Ant Bully, which surprisingly came out a week before Barnyard. However, some of the elements in Barnyard are remotely similar to Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius.
- Similar to Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, Barnyard isn't based on any pre-existing franchise, and was instead somewhat of a test pitch to see how a full audience would react to a full series.