Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (2000)
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer is a Canadian–American animated Christmas television movie, directed by Phil Roman, that aired for the first time the 31st October 2000 on The WB. It is based on the novelty song with the same title written by Randy Brooks and performed for the first time by Elmo & Patsy in 1979.
Why It Sucks
- The title itself doesn't sound fine for a family-oriented Christmas film.
- Ridiculously dumb and poorly executed story.
- Tedious and annoying songs that don't need to be in the movie at all.
- The animation looks poor and cheap.
- Overused holiday clichés.
- Laughably bad names such as "Spankenheimer", and "Cityville".
- Tons of awkward moments.
- Clichéd and dumb characters.
- Whenever the main character Jake wears his jacket, he always has his PJ'S on underneath especially in the same scenes where he wears normal clothes.
- The transitions to the songs are hilariously bad, like how Cousin Mel and Grandpa are talking about signing the contract and out of literally nowhere, Grandpa starts singing.
- No one other than Jake especially Grandpa show concern that Grandma is missing.
- The character designs are as generic as they can get, so much so that they could very well be mistaken for background characters than the stars of the show.
- When Jake is telling everybody about Grandma's sleigh accident with Santa, he mentions that Rudolph was right near Grandma as she was walking even though Rudolph wasn't seen with any of Santa's reindeer in the film.
- Most of the lip syncing is off.
- It first aired on Halloween (October 31), which makes no sense because it’s way too early for a Christmas-themed special and Christmas doesn’t even come out in October.
- Most of the plot is extremely forced.
- Grandma looks way too young for an old woman.
- The voice acting is passable.
- Cousin Mel is somewhat a memorable character.
- Elmo Shropshire, one of the members of the duo who performed the song for the first time in 1979, narrates the movie and voices Grandpa. You can listen to the song here.
- Elmo & Patsy - Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer
- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer - Nostalgia Critic
- Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer - AniMat’s Classic Reviews