Paranormal Activity is a 2007 American supernatural found-footage "horror film" co-produced, written, and directed by Oren Peli. It centers on a young couple who are haunted by a supernatural presence in their home. They then set up a camera to document what is haunting them.
The film was somehow a massive box office success, grossing $193 million against an $11,000 budget and became the most profitable film of all time.
Soon after moving into a suburban tract home, Katie (Katie Featherston) and Micah (Micah Sloat) become increasingly disturbed by what appears to be a supernatural presence. Hoping to capture evidence of it on film, they set up video cameras in the house but are not prepared for the terrifying events that follow.
Why It Sucks
- The film is incredibly boring and lame! Most of the time, it consists of the couple talking and them sleeping.
- Doors creaking open and slamming, footsteps, and noises would only scare a kid under 7. Other than that, the film is not scary at all.
- In fact, the film would've gotten a PG rating if it weren't for all of the F-Bombs. Most of the time, Katie is saying "F--k you" in the dialogue. The film is only rated R because of the language.
- It barely qualifies as a film at all. It looks more like a viral YouTube video or a really bad home movie rather than a theatrical film.
- Terrible acting, with Katie's fear being non-existent.
- Relies on clichés, such as jump scares coming out of the door and the "fear of the dark" cliché.
- The film lacks suspense or scares.
- Katie is a really unlikeable character, as she constantly whines a lot about Micah. Micah is really unlikeable too, as he constantly yells at the "ghost" telling it he's going to fight it. He also constantly goes against Katie's wishes, such as putting powder on the floor bringing in an Ouija board into the house, even though Katie said no.
- Every night scene is sped up and only slows down during every paranormal action, effectively killing the suspense!
- The psychic only tries to force the idea that the ghost is a demon without any evidence or thought.
- The scene where Katie gets dragged out of bed is more hilarious than scary.
- After the only scary part (the part where Katie's face takes a demonic look and the part where Micah's body hits the camera), the film ends, just right there!
- It even spawned sequels, (especially the upcoming seventh film) which they also sucked.
The ONLY Redeeming Quality
- The idea of a husband and wife trying to catch footage of a ghost is a great premise although it's executed poorly.
Despite receiving positive reviews from critics, the film received a mixed response from audiences. Nowadays, people have taken a dislike of the film.