Space Chimps 2
Space Chimps 2: Zartog Strikes Back is a 2010 science fiction animated film and is the sequel to Space Chimps. It is produced by Vanguard Animation.
Cheeky chimp Comet wishes he was a fully-fledged space chimp and sneaks onto a rocket bound for the planet Maglor, but back on Earth evil alien Zartog is on the rampage and has taken over "Mission Control". With his friends, Ham, Luna, and Titan he must try to save the day.
Why It Sucks
WARNING: Do not put in the "WIS" reasons that no one wanted this film.
- The animation is even worse than the original.
- Bad writing with abysmal comedy.
- Terrible voice acting from most of the characters, which wastes the talents of Tom Kenny, Patrick Warburton, and other veteran voice actors.
- Unoriginal plot lines that have ripped off numerous of better films.
- More unlikeable characters that seemed to have lost all of their brain cells. A great example is when the rocket blasts off, making a ton of noise, and nobody notices until one of the scientists says "...hey, didn't we have a rocket there? Eh, whatever."
- Titan is given an admittedly interesting character arc where he is recovering from PTSD, but that's ruined because when he actually sees Zartog, the whole reason he has PTSD to begin with, he goes and gives him a tour...yes, he really gave a tour to the guy that nearly got him killed...
- Like the original, this one has awkward character designs.
- A rather bad grasp of the original film.
- Forgettable soundtrack.
- Despite the subtitle of Zartog Strikes Back, Zartog actually doesn't have that much of an impact on the story, Instead, the film seems more content with just filling the runtime with Comet slacking off on Maglor.
- Surprisingly bad ending; especially compared to the original film.
- It has one of the most bizarre product placements ever done, as the machine that departicles things that the three scientists made looks like a Wii remote with iPod buttons in it.
The film was universally panned and has a critic approval rating of 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. It also had a 2.7/10 on IMDb, which was even worse than the first movie's 4.5/10.
Jambareeqi gave this movie 1 quarter of a strawberry out of 5, claiming that this is "one of the most paper-thin films ever made", while AniMat put it as the 2nd worst animated sequel, criticizing it for its ugly style, stupid characters and most of the film's filler scenes.
The film even performed terribly at the British box office, leading to the movie being a direct-to-DVD movie in America.
However, just like CGW, it started getting ironic positive reviews on Google, all thanks to its meme status.