The Ant Bully
The Ant Bully is a 2006 computer-animated comedy film released by Warner Bros. Pictures and produced by DNA Productions and Legendary Pictures in their first (and so far, only) animated movie. It is based on the 1999 children's book of the same name. The film was a massive disappointment at the box office, making $55.2 million against its $50 million budget, and received mixed reviews from critics. It is the last project by DNA Productions before the studio shut down.
After eight-year old Lucas Nickle is shrunk down by ants, he must work for the ant colony to defeat the Cloudbreather, known as Stan Beals.
- Completely unfaithful to the book it's based on.
- Stan Beals was never mentioned in the book.
- In the book, Lucas' bully was named Sid, but in the movie, he's named Steve.
- Lucas never shrunk in the book.
- Lucas' parents go on their wedding anniversary to Puerto Vallerta but they never went away in the book.
- Unimpressive animation, especially for mid-2000s standards.
- Atrocious dialogue that sounds like it was written by a four-year old.
- Speaking of Stan Beals, he is a weak villain who is not much of a threat except for the insects.
- Much like The Lorax, he's only in the movie so that the producers can make a movie about the book.
- The main protagonist, Lucas, is unlikable.
- Some juvenile humor, including but not limited to:
- Stan Beals mocking Lucas for thinking he shouldn't sign the contract
- The ants celebrating their victory with bug poop.
- Some butt shots of Lucas are shown. For example, when Lucas grows back in size, he is naked and we see his butt.
- Not only that, there are some butt shots of other characters too.
- Massive amount of filler; in fact, the movie spends eighty-eight minutes of Lucas and the ants doing stuff that is unnecessary.
- Zoc is an absolute insult to wizardry and witchcraft, and he is a massive jerk to Lucas throughout the movie.
- In fact, most ants treat Lucas like Steve does, which makes it the equivalent of "torture porn" episodes seen in some bad TV shows.
- The voice acting is decent, especially Nicholas Cage as Zoc, Julia Roberts as Hova, Zack Tyler Eisen as Lucas and Meryl Streep as the Ant Queen.
- Some funny moments.
- Decent soundtrack.
- Despite the awful climax, it is pretty entertaining.
- The scene where Steve gets owned is better than Stan Beals' defeat.
- The scene where Hova calls out Zoc for chasing Lucas away is very satisfying.
- The deleted scenes are far better than the ones we see in the final product.
The Ant Bully received mixed reviews by critics, as it holds a 62% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, a 59/100 on Metacritic indicating "mixed or average" reviews and a 5.8/10 on IMDb.
The Ant Bully made $28.1 million in North America and $27.1 million in overseas, and a total of $55.2 million worldwide against a $50 million, deeming it a box-office disappointment.
- It was the last film performance for Ricardo Montalbán though he made guest apperances on both Family Guy and American Dad! before his death on January 14, 2009.